Dec 3, 2008

Volcanoes in New Zealand


In New Zealand, there are the Northern Island and the Southern Island. Some volcanoes are in the Southern Island, because under the South Island, the Pacific plate tectonics is striking the India and Australian plate tectonics. Therefore in west of the Southern Island, they made volcanoes.

In one of the most famous national parks,
the Tongariro National Park, there are three big volcanoes. They are Mt.Ruapefu (2797m), Mt.Ngauruhoe (2291m), and Mt.Tongariro (1968m). These volcanoes are active volcanoes, but people enjoy skiing and hiking. Are they dangerous? To keep safe, watch systems check these mountains.

From ancient times,
Maori have believed and treasured that volcanoes erupted by sacred mountains which sent from hometown over the sea. But they thought that these mountains might be deprived, so head of Maori gave to Australia in 1894. It became one of the World Heritage Site in 1994. This park is famous for The Lord of the Rings.

5 comments:

nori716 said...

I love mountains, so I belong to wandervogel club. I'd like to beautiful and solemn mountains in NZ.

yuukita said...

There are high mountains in the National Park. I want to go there and want to skiing adn hiking.

ayaka said...

Your blog is easy to read!! So i could understand the reason of volcanoes and I was surprised to people can enjoy near to active volcanoes.

maichi said...

Hi,Miyu☆
Your blog is very nice!
Using some links is also good!
And you researched many topic.
Volcanoes,mountain,Maori and so on.
I want to go to the National Park.

mayuko said...

I have never seen volcanos so I want to see it someday. Your information about geography is very useful and I became interested in New Zealand more!